Land and Environment Court > Your legal problem is about ...

Trees and hedges


People in urban areas may have disputes about trees or hedges on their neighbour’s land. The Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006 provides a process for resolving disputes between neighbours about trees and hedges. A person who wishes to have a tree or hedge on the neighbour’s land pruned or removed, or who wishes to obtain compensation for damage to their property caused by a tree on a neighbour's land, may apply to the Land and Environment Court to obtain these orders. The application is allocated to Class 2 of the Court’s jurisdiction.


More information

Find out more about how the Court deals with tree and hedge disputes in Class 2: tree disputes and local government appeals. Follow the links to find out how tree and hedge disputes are started, dealt with by the Court and finalised.

Need legal advice or information?

In NSW, there are a number of places where you can get specialised legal advice on the sorts of legal problems heard by the Land and Environment Court. Find out where to get legal advice and information



Trees and hedges    

Fast track ...

Need to find out how to make an application for orders in a tree or hedge dispute? Go to  Class 2: tree disputes and local government appeals.

This website is being updated to comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.