Land and Environment Court > Your legal problem is about ...

Land valuation 

Land is valued for the purposes of land tax and local government rates. A person may object to a valuation of land by the Valuer-General.  If the person is dissatisfied with the Valuer-General’s determination of the person’s objection, the person may appeal to the Land and Environment Court. The appeal is made under s 37 of the Valuation of Land Act 1916. The appeal is allocated to Class 3 of the Court’s jurisdiction.

On the appeal, the person has the onus of proving its case, including that the values assigned by the Valuer-General are too high or too low (see s 40(2) of the Valuation of Land Act 1916).


More information

Find more information about  land valuation appeals.

Need legal advice or information?

In NSW, there are a number of places where you can get specialised legal advice on the sorts of legal problems heard by the Land and Environment Court. Find out where to get legal advice and information




Land valuation

Fast track ...

Need to know about how to start a land valuation appeal? Go to  Class 3: valuation, compensation and Aboriginal land claim cases - Valuation Objection Appeals.

This website is being updated to comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.