Land and Environment Court

Interpreters and translators 


Interpreters and translators are used to assist the Land and Environment Court judicial officers (judges, commissioners and registrars) in court matters:

  • to ensure fair and effective court processes;

  • to ensure that persons appearing before the Court can fully comprehend and effectively participate in proceedings

  • to help ensure the proper running of all cases before the Court.

Contacting the Court by telephone

If you or someone you know needs an interpreter when you contact a court or tribunal, use the free Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS). Call 131 450 and tell them the telephone number you need to contact. An interpreter will call the number while you are on the phone and translate what the other person on the phone says to you.

Interpreters for criminal cases heard in the Land and Environment Court

Parties involved in criminal proceedings (Classes 5, 6 and 7 of the Court's jurisdiction) should contact the Court's registry at least 72 hours (three days) in advance of their appearance if they require an interpreter for in-court assistance. There is no cost to the parties associated with the provision of an interpreter for criminal matters at the Court.

Interpreters for civil cases heard in the Land and Environment Court

Parties involved in civil proceedings (Classes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 8 of the court's jurisdiction) are not entitled to a free interpreter for in-court assistance unless ordered by a judicial officer of the Court.

For most civil proceedings, you must arrange for and pay for your own interpreter. You can arrange for an interpreter through the Multicultural NSW Language Services Unit, or any accredited independent interpreting service. You can search for interpreters by language and location on the website of the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

Interpreters for court and tribunal proceedings must have at least a level 3 accreditation from NAATI. Interpreters engaged by the CRC are bound by a strict code of ethics, which requires:

  • impartiality

  • disclosure of conflicts of interests

  • confidentiality

  • accuracy

  • competence

  • honesty, integrity and dignity

  • reliability and punctuality.

Translation services

If you need documents translated for an Land and Environment Court case, you can arrange a translator through the Multicultural NSW Language Services Unit, or any accredited independent translator.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship provides a free translation service for non-English speaking people settling permanently in Australia. This service can be used only by eligible people in the first two years after entry to Australia.





Man speaking to translator on phone 

This website is being updated to comply with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.